Thursday, August 21, 2008

28! or Things I Know

The other day I woke up and realized that I'm 28. It scared me. When my mom was my age, she was getting married for the 2nd time. She had a 7 year old kid. Lots of people I know that are my age are college educated with good jobs and families and houses. I still think of myself as a kid in my own head. It helps that I look like a kid and hang out with old guys all the time, but holy crap I'm an adult and I just realized it!!! I feel like I've been in a coma and just woke up. When I was a kid, 28 year old's were Big People. They were responsible and took care of business. Now that I'm a 28 year old, I realize that the 28 year old's of 20 years ago were clueless. They didn't know what was going to happen. I know this because I'm 28 now and I don't know what's going to happen. I think I knew more stuff when I was 19 than I know now. The more I learn, the more I realize I don't know. Here is a list of things I know:

* The government is always going to take their share from my paycheck. If I get a $2,000 a year raise, I know that I will really only get a $1,500 raise.


* I can't drink alcohol normally. I've been in an ambulance so many times, they should give me a punch card so I can get my next ride free.


* Change is the only constant. I believe it was a wise prophet who once said 'The more things change, the more they stay the same'. ( A wise prophet, or the singer of the band Cinderella. I forget which one)


* It is virtually impossible to shout something in public and sound intelligent. If you doubt this, I challenge you to go into a mall and shout something you feel sounds smart. 'A squared plus B squared equals C squared' sounds no more intelligent than 'Hey everybody, check out the rack on that Betty over there!' when spoken at top volume. Trust me on this.


* There are certain things you never bring up around other people unless you want a fight. Here are a few: religion, politics, and the size of someone's butt and how it may or may not look in a pair of jeans (note: this mainly applies when speaking to women).


I think that's pretty much it. On a parallel note, here are things I know about women:


* _


Now that I think about it, though, maybe that's why girls like guys that are self confident. Girls don't have any more idea what's going to happen than I do. They want someone that seems to know what's going to happen. Nobody really knows, though. That's one thing that I do know.

4 comments:

Katie M. said...

I think this is the first time I've seen you get nervous about aging. I've been developing an ulcer about it for years now!!

Does this mean it's time for kids, now that you realize you're an adult? hee hee

LT said...

Man oh man. I get to hear it all the time at home. Now I can't even surf the net without my wife hounding me to have kids....

Cameron's Corner said...

Hounding in a pubic forum is even better...

I mean, "public"... "public"... not "pubic".

Sorry about that.

Mike Bringhurst said...

I hound Brandie in public but I always get in trouble. Hounding, that's a funny verb. I'm going to use it more.

I still don't know anything and I'm 42. Seems like the older you get the more you don't know, because Justine knows everything and she's only 16.