Thursday, September 4, 2008

Any Ideas?

Whoever invented bringing flowers home to your wife is a wise man. Anybody that remembers to do it when they're not in the doghouse is a genius. Add me to that list. Last night I brought the wife some flowers and a couple of games for her game boy out of the blue. She probably told me 10 times how happy she was. She also said something slightly disturbing to me. She said 'You haven't brought me flowers since we were dating'. We're not an old married couple or anything, but we're not exactly newlyweds either. God willing, we'll celebrate 3 years next month. What she was saying to me is that I haven't brought flowers to her in 3 years. YEARS!

That got me thinking (yeah, I know: bad idea); I'm either doing something right by bringing flowers so infrequently or I've got to step it up in the old romance department. Don't misunderstand me, I'm not talking about sex. I'm talking about all of the stuff that seemed fun when we first started dating. Stuff that seems like a waste of time now. Stuff like going for walks out of the blue or ...actually, I can't really think of a lot of things that would apply now. Her visiting me in rehab doesn't go over as smoothly as it used to. What do people do that is romantic that doesn't involve detoxing from alcohol? If any of you have any ideas, please let me know. If my wife is that happy over a bunch of flowers and some games, I've got to be doing something wrong. I'm clueless. In fact I'm starting to wonder what it was that I did or said that tricked the wife into marrying me in the first place. Did I used to be more spontaneous and it went away? My idea of a good time now is to sit at home on the couch watching a movie or tv show with the wife and cats. That couldn't be what charmed the pants off of Katie, could it? (if you're reading this Mom, pay no attention to the wording of that last sentence - it's just a saying) So anyways, if anybody has any ideas on how to charm the pants off of my wife once again please let me know.

6 comments:

Katie M. said...

haha I love you!

I could give you more ideas, but then it wouldn't be a surprise and as spontaneous. Anything thoughtful and out of the norm would cause me to tell you 10 times how happy I am :)

dixons said...

Ummm take a pix of your poo and send it to her... It always works foe me haha j/k.

LT said...

Hmm. Would she like it? Probably. Is it romantic? Not so much. I'll pass. Any other great ideas? :)

Cameron's Corner said...

If we do things like that infrequently enough, we'll be surpised with how much credit we get for fulfilling the least of our responsibilities.

Stop making me look bad.

Natalie Winquist said...

As I think about the fact that once again- I'm blog-stalking your blog (which I love to read occasionally- it's hilarious) through Tami Harris's blog (my husband is Cameron Winquist, Jeff's friend)- I'm somewhat embarrased to even be commenting on your post. Obviously- not embarrased enough to stop. After being married now for 14 yrs (we're 32- got married a month out of high school) I can say that some of the things that I now consider "romantic" is when my husband surprises me by letting me sleep in or by doing the damn dishes! ha! joking aside- the random scavenger hunts i send him on to find a gift for no reason, or a week full of rhymes w/accompanying treats on his car seat that I sneak out to place early before he leaves for work, or just even the random sweet texts for absolutely no reason- those are the best! we got lots of crap- it's nice to have those "oh- how sweet of my spouse" moments every now & then!!! okay- i think i've probably creeped you out enough for now- thanks for letting me stalk-talk to a complete stranger!!!

LT said...

Natalie,
Thanks for the comment! I'm not creeped out at all. In fact, I think we've met once or twice before, so you're not really a complete stranger. Those are some good ideas. I tried buying her a season of SpongeBob Squarepants on DVD and coming home with an eye patch on when I gave it to her to give her a laugh. It didn't go over as well as I'd hope. This is why I need people to give me ideas :)