Thursday, October 2, 2008

Crash! or LT contemplates a new career


No, I'm not talking about the movie. Or the video game character. I'm talking about one car running into another. It happened to me a couple of days ago. There I was, driving down the road minding my own business when a lady tried to nose out into traffic to turn left. I honked my horn and had 2 options that I saw: 1 was to go into oncoming traffic or the traffic sign at the beginning of the island in front of me. The other option was to pray to the brake gods that mine were good. I went with the second option and found that, while my brakes were good, they in fact were not good enough. Bummer.

All in all, it seemed to be not that big of a deal. There was no broken glass or headlights; no fluids leaking. I was upset that the cop didn't ticket the lady for her obvious infraction, but after I started raising my voice to the cop I quickly remembered an incident earlier in my life. An incident where I got vocal with a cop. That cop in turn got violent with me. Rage in check, I opted for the more traditional 'work it out with her insurance' route. I filed a claim with her insurance company, hoping that my insurance would never hear about my little fender bender. About 10 minutes later I received notification that she had filed a claim with my insurance. I was pretty upset for a minute. After I spoke to her insurance to give a statement, I was genuinely concerned. They seemed rather combative. Within a day, though, they called back to tell me they were accepting liability. So the Road Warrior (the name bestowed upon my 2002 Mazda Protoge) is in the car hospital getting fixed up. With so little damage, I was surprised to learn that despite the lack of broken glass or leaking fluids my car had nearly $3,800 in damage. Yikes! All over a little bit of plastic. That's about half the value of my entire car. All in the bumper. I would have thought the engine might be worth that much. Or perhaps the transmission. Nope. Just the bumper.

That got me thinking. I'm in the wrong industry. I need to be making plastic bumpers for cars.

4 comments:

Cameron's Corner said...

Rage and Cops don't mix well, though, ironically, they often go together.

Katie M. said...

I'm glad everything worked out and the dumb lady's insurance is paying for the damages! What a pain it's been - you've handled it well.

p.s. you spelled 'protoge' wrong :)

love,
the wife

Just Me said...

Or you could try making a career out of being an old lady. Apparently you can get away with almost anything. AND you'd get a senior citizen discount at your favorite restaurants!

Brandice said...

Troy, sorry about your run-in with the law. I'm glad you're okay! Maybe I could send some flowers to the Road Warrior and speed up the recovery. I agree with you.... plastic is highly overrated.